Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Omelets and music--what else is there?

1. Omelets:

I cannot seem to get the omelet to fold over properly and seal, without breaking. I left out the spinach today (added basil) to try to reduce the mass, but left in the tomatoes. Really, tomatoes are necessary. The eggs broke over them, however. Left over roasted garlic (from the hummus), tomatoes, basil, pretty good omelet all things told. However, the lack of spinach really creates a void. The basil does not account for the mass, the crunchy nature of the spinach leaf. It struck me: in attempting to contain perfection, must we inevitably leave something out? Conversely, in attempting to contain all that we wish to account for, must we be satisfied with the always-broken nature of the container?

Yes, I just implicitly compared breakfast to philosophy.

2. Music:

I have two choices for music: my computer speakers, which are a bit tinny and low-volume, do not give the total-immersion effect that I'm used to; my headphones, which have something wrong with the wire and only work in one channel, or go out of phase when the wires cross. Seeing as how the headphones are more expensive than I'd like to admit, I'll have to repair the wire once I get home. I might save the broken wire to get crazy noises some time. I'm used to listening to music constantly, from large studio monitors designed to give the most accurate response for mixing and balance. But, since I couldn't bring my mixer and giant speakers trans-Atlantic, I'll have to make do with what I have. Before, either Luke or I would always have music playing through them, and I would cannibalize the library's classical and jazz collections for a new sound.

The Trinity music library is all digitized and huge, but I can't seem to properly listen to it, not to mention that my hard drive is full. This is a bit painful, and each time I get something new I must delete something else, or else my computer slows to a halt due to lack of memory and breaks, spilling eggs all over the kitchen table.

1 comment:

molls said...

I haven't had breakfast in two months. stop writing about your amazing omelets! you make me hungry!

and bitter.