Friday, January 25, 2008

The palm stands on the edge of space

Oh man. I mean, a solid minute of 5-against-4, just destroying the piano. One moment a delicate consonance, suspensions hanging in the air, then a fortissimo crashing dissonance.

It's true that I do a lot of composing on the computer, but that seems to be a last resort. If you write a poem on the computer, you edit it, you pare the lines, you seem to interrupt yourself mid-sentence with the delete key. But if you write it on paper, you get a series of parenthetical comments, cross-outs where you can still see the
word, lines circled and moved, stanzas displaced. I won't diminish the invention of the musical typewriter, (Finale 2007, Garritan Personal Orchestra edition) but the last thing I need is for someone to interrupt the music in my brain with poorly humanized piano samples.

So, the pieces of my compositions that I keep are invariably the parts that go down on paper, straight from my brain. Anything added in the computer stage is tenuous at best, drivel at worst. I just wrote out, by hand, the eight-measure (each measure repeated 2-4 times) piano interlude bringing us back from the B section (B D Eb F Gb A) to the A section (C Db F Gb Ab Bb). And when I put it into the computer, I didn't change a note.

Hear the bad computer synthesis: Piano Etude


No comments: