Sunday, April 13, 2008

Ezra Pound, come home to Idaho

I wrote a song a few months back about Ezra Pound, and since I got this fancy recorder for my summer project, and since I have nothing better to do, I recorded it, with a nice rhythm track of Pound's Italian broadcasts, circa 1942, which later got him jailed for treason. The poem is the first half or so of Canto I. I couldn't find Canto II, which is what I really wanted, so the first one would have to do.

This is an excerpt from the forthcoming opera examining the life and displacement of Ezra Pound, where each act is introduced and closed by a verse from this song. The country guitar (and harmonica, when I get one in the appropriate key) is juxtaposed with the intense modernist aesthetic of Pound's poetry. It will make use of leitmotif.

I also shaved my head and beard, but kept earlobe-long sideburns and a soul patch, because if you're going to have facial hair, why not have funny facial hair. I could probably pass for a youth pastor; all I would need is a guitar. Oh, wait.



And if that fails to load:
http://www.willamette.edu/~acsmith/ezra.mp3

It was first sunny, now it's hailing. I heard some thunder earlier. Audio soon.

2 comments:

nancy said...

close call on the hair--you might have looked like ezra with a little more sculpting.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.