Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The proof is in the 'stache

You requested proof (in blog title), sorry it took so long. I grew comedy facial hair, in case it's too faint to see. Yes, it's there.

World Premiere of "Of Mere Being" tonight, at the Trinity College chapel. 8:30. 3 euros. Admission pays for drinks for all the players and composers after the concert. Feeling pretty good about this one, and I've come to terms with the speed of it. It's slower than I originally intended, and on classical instead of electric guitar, but more serene. I'd still like to try it with flute and electric guitar, but I can now see it two ways. I'll print the program notes for you, then I should be off:

The name of this piece is taken from Wallace Stevens’s late poem of the same name. It is separated into four short movements just as the poem itself is four short, three-line stanzas. Each movement takes its texture from the rhythm of each corresponding stanza, although it was not originally intended as a programmatic piece. Particularly, there is a feeling of opacity and nonsense to the poem that I wanted to evoke most clearly; as the narrative structures of the both the piece and the poem dissolve, the entire form becomes tranquil, almost static. It ends in three tableax: “The palm stands on the edge of space. / The wind moves slowly through the branches. / The bird’s fire-fangled feathers dangle down.”

1 comment:

nancy said...

(Someone, I can't remember) said that you have an amazing ability to recreate your look. Thanks for the picture.