Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Homeless in Berlin

Well, I fly out in about 7 1/2 hours (I can't ever sleep before traveling) and don't have a place to stay. I had one originally, but the guy whose couch I was surfing backed out at the last minute, saying his friends were staying a bit longer than normal but that I could stay there Saturday night. I already have a couch for Saturday until Thursday, though, so I'm just seeing if I can show up early or something. Who knows, kind of an adventure.

I don't even own enough clothes for eight days. I mean, if you count all the buttoned shirts it might work out, but I just don't own clothes. I'm bringing (wearing) one pair of pants, plus some pajamas, and maybe 4-5 days worth of everything else. Basically nothing. Then a camera, my sound recorder, iPod, headphones, and maybe (maybe) computer. We'll do a test walk around the block and see if it's heavy at all, but I think it'll work out. It'll give me something to read and do when I sit down somewhere, since I'm not really bringing books (two--Solzhenitzyn's Day in the Life--because it has small print and is light-weight, and a German dictionary, just for fun).

I'm afraid that if I don't bring my computer then I'll fill up my sampler way too fast and have to buy a new memory card or just dump some stuff or something. Who knows. Anyway, wish me luck.

No comments: