Thursday, April 10, 2008

This chorale is my white whale



Avast, ye. This chorale melody is one of the first things I wrote all year, something which just came to me. I don't even recall working on it, revising it; it just was. You can heckle it all you like, because frankly now I'm ambivalent. Now it's a challenge. It's like trying to work "vortex" into a conversation, or "various states of disrepair" into a blog post.

I have tried:

1. A chorale prelude, meant to simulate improvisation at the piano; the chorale is like a set of jazz chord changes to improvise upon.
2. A traditional four-part arrangement, slowly dissolving into obscurity.
3. A fugue, a la Die Kunst der Fuge.
4. A four-part canon (it was a disaster).
5. A four-part canon using only eighth notes (it was a [expletive deleted] train wreck).
6. Having two players play the melody, one normal and one inverted, while the other two sing the parts to the words "In the sound of a few leaves, which is the sound of the land full of the same wind," from the Wallace Stevens poem "The Snow Man." This one was just goofy.

It is a 19-note Rasputin. I dare someone to come up with a coherent arrangement of it. If you want, I can lend you my notes and attempted analyses (i.e., bar 1 is D Maj. 7 to F-OCT0, 1; bar 2 pivots from G Lydian to an inverted G harmonic minor scale; bar 3 is roughly B Locrian). Go ahead, I dare you. Call me Ishmael, or something.

Edit: By "one normal and one inverted" I meant that the second melody was inverted, beginning with a fourth down instead of a fourth up. Not the actual player. Not that goofy.

No comments: